Monday, September 6, 2010

Filling Up the Margins

Handwriting analysis has always fascinated me. I've been doing it since high school. I'm always amazed at how accurate it is. Take my husband's writing. He writes with a back slant. A back slant usually indicates a person who is a bit timid and keeps to himself. That's Jim all the way. Being able to understand basic information about letter size, slant, loops, spacing gives me a much clearer idea of the person with whom I am communicating. Plus the accuracy of handwriting analysis is just plain fun.

So recently, I analyzed some writing I had done. I came across something I had never recognized before. When journaling, I fill up the whole page. No margins. Every spec of that page is full of script. In terms of analysis, this means that I am a person who fills up every inch of my life with life. I had to do an "ah ha" here. Of course that's me. I get up, drink coffee and then meditate (yes, in that order) and then the rest of the day is just packed full of life. 14 hours later I fall into bed but wait, I can't sleep yet. I need to read first. OK, now I can go to sleep.

I watch people sit on the couch in the middle of the afternoon to read. What, unheard of! I listen to unabridge books on my iPod so I can weed, do mosaics, or cook while listening to my book. I only let myself read books in the bathtub and before bed. No time for frivolity – too much to do!

But what does this mean for my creativity and soul to be so busy?  I've been pondering this thought since I made the "fill up her margins" realization. Am I too busy? Am I missing out because I don't give myself enough quiet time?

Though my life would not work for most, it really works for me. I love being busy. I love the variety of activities covered in a day. My creativity is actually stimulated by allowing myself the rhythm that fits me. I get some of my best ideas when I am in the midst of rowing on the river, working, baking bread or weeding the garden. The only downfall of filling up the margins is that it is harder to be spontaneous because every part of my day is already planned out and packed full. I'm working on that. I'm realizing I can adjust to spontaneously do something that just "comes up." I wonder if it will show up in my handwriting?

No comments:

Post a Comment